Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Salt

The last time I had written a movie review, it was more like a sypnosis so this time I'll just concentrate on the main cast (not the "semi driver" or the "lady by the office water cooler" extra) namely, Schreiber and Jolie and their respective performances, so as not to spoil the film for those who haven't seen it yet.

Truly talented thespians can play and nail any character, but what is even more impressive is when they successfuly take on a role of a character, who is taking on the role of another character. This is the premise Salt is based on. Yes, good actors/actresses can portray just about any role and bring them to life, be it the good or bad guy. They can equally play an endearing protagonist or a hateful antagonist so effectively that you have a hard time distinguishing fiction from reality and almost want to send the character either poetic fan letters or scathing hate mail! I know that's how I felt about Liev Shcreiber's role in the Manchurian Candidate. To be honest, I don't even remember much from that movie, all I know is that Schreiber played some evil, evil mama's boy politician. No, his acting wasn't bad, not at all, on the contrary, it was so credible, too credible that his Candidate's persona kinda stayed with me. In my books, Salt was his chance to redeem himself, and he did. In the movie you buy his portrayal of Salt's ally.

As for Angelina Jolie, what else can I say, she's the very epitome of hotness. But there's definitely more to her than just what meets the eye - she's got both heart and substance. Besides her philantropy, her leading role performance in Changeling won her critical acclaim and and an Oscar nomination, hardly a minor accomplishment and that's just one feather on her figurative acting "hat." She plays the movie's namesake CIA agent, Evelyn Salt very well. My only personal beef, though, (although, I know it was all part of the movie) is that I can't get rid of the image of her as a male NATO officer out of my mind. I might have to watch Mr. & Mrs. Smith a couple of times in order to obliterate it from my memory. But that's just me, I don't know, personally, I just like Angelina Jolie better as a girl, don't you???

Kumar and I watched the late night show at 9:40 at the Scotiabank Theater and I was feeling lethargic from carbs overload after having fancy linguini alle vongole at Bice's. Even the blaring surround sound couldn't keep me from dozing off intermittently during the flick. All in all I thought the movie was ok. But it kinda fell short on the wow factor. If I might daresay, I think it's a rental. But then again, that's just me, again, or no, actually, it was probably just the pasta and not to mention, creme brulee alla vaniglia, doing the talking....

No comments:

Post a Comment