Saturday, December 18, 2010

M BRGR, etc...

Now that Jaden and I aren't so attached at the hip anymore and that I am no longer his sole source of nutrition and that he has sprouted his first molars and finally eats neat little mouthfuls of our steak and potatoes (and fish & rice!) staples, I've been enjoying a measure of freedom and have been taking full advantage of grandma's willingness to take care of the kids for us. Yesterday, I decided that it would be a perfect night for such an occasion, to go downtown and meet Kumar to enjoy a much tamer and toned down (as parents!) "night on the town." Now how's that for spontaneity? lol, I try! But of course, I had to kill time in the meantime, so I thought I'd go shopping, lol, how convenient!!!

We've been meaning to try M BRGR for awhile now, and while for some reason all of my other restaurant reviews or references to them have always been of the more chi-chi upscale ones, M: Brgr is totally worth blogging about for a mid-scale specialty (burger) resto. It's a very cool place that you wouldn't feel embarrased to take friends from out of town to, to just hang or even watch the game. When we walked in, Kumar and I were greeted by a friendly and pretty seating hostess - and of course, like anywhere else, reservations are recommended, especially if you're coming with a group of friends, luckily, we didn't get turned away, but the first seats that became available were by the bar. "Do you mind sitting at the bar," the seating girl asked, and Kumar and I looked at each other and shrugged, "No" we replied and immediately were led to the bar, I thought it'd be cool to pretend that we were strangers and entertain each other all evening with the worst ever pick-up lines we could come up with, but I kept getting distracted by the other resto's hpatrons passing by that kept brushing against my brand *spanking* new Canada Goose and right when I was about to lose it (lol) the sweet seating girl (God bless her!) approached us to tell us that an actual table was free, and so we transferred. Yaayy!

Now perusing through the menu at first can be a bit overwhelming, but you quickly realize that you're supposed to create or build your own
trademark hamburger: you start off by choosing the basics composed of the patty, e.g. AAA, vegetarian, etc., next, the bun, e.g. brioche,
whole wheat, etc., then the cheese - you get the idea, and then comes the more interesting extras with which you get to let your creative juices flow to personalize your burger - things like fresh horseradish mayo, grilled portobello mushrooms, um...for the life of me I can't remember the choices off the top of my head...anyways, by default the burgers come with LT and pickles, and, oh, then there are the crazy expensive extras you can have added on too, like truffle shavings if you so fancy...

Also, for ease of ordering, if you're pressed for time, and can't be bothered to construct a burger and for cheaper, too, I may add, you could always just have the classic all dressed "Big Zac" which as the name implies, is like a Big Mac, but only because with two patties, it's humongous, otherwise, in all other respects, there is simply no comparison, lol. There's also the "Little Big Zac" with just one patty which is what I had since I'm not as much as glutton as Kumar is, haha. For sides, Kumar had French fried onions which he thoroughly doused with Tabasco and scarfed down by the forkful while I had the sweet potato fries which is a nice departure from the regular variety. They were
awesome, and I decimated them leaving all but, let me see, one, two, three, I think it was, fries that came in the largish bowl/ramekin thing they were served in. It's funny, because we like to believe that sweet potatoes are healthier, well, they probably are, uh, steamed, that is, nevertheless, given the choice between the regular fries and them I think they still are a tad healthier lol, like the lesser of two evils, I mean, I don't think I've ever had a cleaner colon than as I write hahahaha...

Our waiter went out of his way to ask the bartender to make Kumar a blackberry mojito, which the guy recommended, at Kumar's asking. Needless to say, it was wicked. We kinda thought of trying one of their desserts: a freshly baked deep-dish chocolate chip cookie topped with vanilla ice cream -how sick is that? But we were simply too full by then, so maybe next time! Yup, so the food was awesome, the burgers were *mean*, succulent and juicy, the buns fresh, the sides addictive, the staff attentive and friendly, the decor, simple and hip...one wall was hung with a panoramic sepia photograph/wallpaper/mural of Montreal, which I thought was London (hahaha) at first, but as Kumar pointed out, was in fact, Montreal, duh...all in all, I'll give M BRGR a whopping (not whopper!) 9 out of 10.

Allow me to conclude my post with more Canada Goose obssesion. Yes, having become so sensitized to them by now, it's crazy to see how many I had spotted last night within a span of so much time and space, the mall was teeming with kids wearing them, I mean the ratio must have been 1:5. I saw a lot of bombers which seem to be extremely popular among the younger set and a few ladies here and there in anoraks and parkas of both the "Expedition" and "Montebello" styles to be specific but none in my "Resolute" (hah!) which I had previously explained at length is more utilitarian. I'm glad that at least for now, I'm still relatively original in the midst of this totally ubiquitous fad! Yes, I heart my "firefighter/constable" parka - it gives me an air of authority, that the all five feet of me, otherwise lacks...lol...Have a Nice Weekend, everyone...

No comments:

Post a Comment