Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Toy Story 3 (uhm..spoiler alert!)

When one's stricken with writer's block and has no clue what to blog about, movies might seem like that bottomless well to draw ideas from. The only reason why I haven't reviewed one is because I haven't seen one in ages! Honestly, what's the use of a review on a movie whose sequel is already out? Sure, I was able to catch the very tail-end of G.I. Joe two months ago, and some odd snippets here and there of Ghosts of Girlfriends past over the past two weeks on the Movie Network, but never a full-length movie, let alone at the theater!!! So needless to say, I was beside myself with excitement to go see Toy Story 3 last night with Maya at the Guzzo by us, albeit pathetically almost a month after it's North American release (lol) The original plan was for my mother-in-law to take care of Jaden while the three of us went. But at the last minute, Kumar volunteered to take care of the baby while Maya and I bonded over some popcorn and apple juice and Toy Story. You see, Kumar had never seen the first two installments, so he figured he might not enjoy it as much. My husband is a movie fiend and takes movie watching very seriously. Like the time we went to see Batman Begins. He actually spent a good two weeks watching the whole Batman institution in increments in order to prep himself prior to watching the movie. But Toy Story 3 is just as enjoyable as a stand-alone movie unlike some sequels that really just pick up from where the the previous one left off.

I was really looking forward to see the movie because I knew that if it was anything like the first two, it would be awesome. Not all animated films are inherently funny by virtue of their being "cartoons". Trust me, there are tons out there that bombed at the box-office, and to me personally, just didn't weigh in much on my funny-scale either. Like the Bee Movie (sorry Maya!) for example. Some of them can be really anti-climactic and even downright depressing. But that's probably just me, from having watched them over a gazillion times. But going back to Toy Story, I was introduced to the first two when I babysat a good friend's daughter, Briana, as a favor, who was around 2 or 3 years old at the time when the movies first came out in the late 90's. It might have taken Pixar forever to come up with the 3rd part but it was well worth the wait. The movie kicks off with the desperate last-ditch concerted effort the principled and serious Woody (Tom Hanks does his voice), the simply hilarious Buzz Lightyear (Tim Allen), charming and spunky Jessie (Joan Cusack) and the rest of the cute and endearing gang pull to get their owner, Andy, who is now all grown-up and is soon off to college, to play with them. Just watch the movie to see how they inadvertently end up at the Sunnyside Daycare, where they are warmly received by a deceptively kind, fatherly, cuddly teddybear named Lotso. You'll be feeling nostalgic for the toys you grew up with like the inseperable Mr. & Mrs. Potoato Head, and Barbie & Ken, who I might dare call metro!!! Look out for cameo appearances by the totally classic Fisher Price corn popper and talking telephone, but just be prepared, too for the creepy Chucky-ish doll and the rather frightening shreiking, cymbal-clashing monkey (don't worry, before the end of the film you'll understand where they're all coming from!). You'll also marvel at the group's seamless teamwork as they carry out their intricate plan to escape Sunnyside and narrowly cheat almost certain destruction at a landfill. There are also some heartrending scenes during which I had to discreetly wipe away some copious tears rolling down my cheeks to keep my four year old daughter from seeing me cry!!! All in all, if you want my two cents on the film, I say go watch it if you haven't done so already - it's definitely a must-see for kids and grownups alike and everyone else in between!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment